Thursday, April 17, 2008

Building Your Dream Team

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, the same can be said for a business. You can build your business, hire the best management that money can buy, have the best accountants, lawyers, and salespeople, yet if your workers themselves are not committed to your success, you will eventually fail.

I wish I could say that there is a method to hiring your dream team to help you succeed however if there is, I haven't found it yet. As for me, I screen my workers and try to keep my eyes and ears on whats going on from the office level to the job sites themselves. I have learned to identify an issue before it becomes a problem. I try to hire only those people that can bring something to the table, whether it be in the form of experience or a simple desire to be the best at what they do. From time to time, I end up thinking someone is a great fit for my dream team only to be proven wrong. It is these times when I have to step in and do what is best for my company.

Too often a businessman will try to show loyalty to friends and family that have been hired only to be taken advantage of. I myself started out with that mentality and trust me, it is the recipe for chaos. This is business, it's not personal, there can be no loyalty greater than loyalty to the business. My own thought process concerning this issue is while I like my workers, every one of them are great people and I wish them all the best in life, if they try to mistake that for weakness and start letting our friendship affect my money, they have to go.

Your business should be treated as you would your child, it should be nurtured and protected from anyone that would cause it harm. Any start-up will initially have trouble building their dream team but by remaining constantly alert to your businesses weaknesses and working steadily to put people in place that can strengthen the weak areas for you, it starts to happen.

When you finally start getting your dream team together, things just click and you can feel it. The customers are happy, the workers are happy, and most importantly, you are happy. It becomes easier to take days off or to plan Summer Vacations with full knowledge that when you return, there will be a business to return to. My advice is simple, Start building your dream team today, weed out the problems and while it is ok to accept an excuse every now and then, do not allow it to become a habit to the point that it creates chaos for your customers or yourself. A business may be started by an individual with a vision but in order to have a successful business, you must have a team that is dedicated to making that vision a reality.

1 comment:

Jack Payne said...

You're right, it's a sense of "feel" more than anything else. Over my long working career I started 6 publishing companies, and always found this to be fundamentally true.