Friday, April 4, 2008

How to Get and Keep Great Workers

Whenever I hire workers, I want them to understand that they are a valuable asset to my company. I would not be where I am now without workers willing to give me an honest days work for an honest days pay. These are the people I rely upon to show up and get my jobs done, on time, under budget, and correctly. They must be great at what they do and they must be able to give me 100% even on a Friday afternoon.

How do I get workers that can and will do this day after day? I make them part of my companies family, I pay them what they are worth, and I never let an opportunity to praise their work go by unnoticed. If they have a problem outside of work, I do my best to allow time for them to handle it. I will often buy lunch for the crew as a way of letting them know I appreciate the hard work. I have had bad bosses in my life and I know you attract more flies with honey than with vinegar. It costs almost nothing for me to treat my employees as equals and it breeds loyalty to my company. This is where other companies fail. A happy employee will bend over backwards for you. An unhappy one will cost you money and possibly even a few clients.

1 comment:

Azure Accessories said...

Well said...we have a small business so I understand where you are coming from...H