Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Do You Know When To Say No ?

For those that missed it I want to start by directing you to my cash money contest and by letting you know there is still a few weeks left to get your entry in and for those that have already entered, I would like to say that I have read each entry thus far and I can see the choice will be hard to make when deciding a winner. I see several that just stand out as above excellent.

Now, on to my post. I want to discuss debt , it affects the majority of Americans and most of that is due to how we are taught to view money when we are young. I know we are all taught that money is good but how many of us are actually taught the value of a dollar saved or about planning for the future. We are too busy trying to keep up with the broke as can be Jones' with all their new stuff that we fail to see the big picture.

I personally know people that will be in debt for the rest of their lives, not because they can't get out of it but because they choose not to. You could give them a million dollars and they would be broke inside of three years due to poor money management. They freely spend money they shouldn't on things they do not need simply to be able to tell their friends "Look what I have." Personally, I would rather retire early debt free and enjoy my golden years sitting on a dock overlooking a lake with the woman I love.

The point I'm trying to make is life is all about choices, nobody can make them for you and one of the biggest choices we owe to ourselves is to know when to spend and know when to save. Sometimes saying "No" to yourself can be the hardest thing to do but it can also be the best decision you can make for your financial future.

2 comments:

pizzatherapy said...

Very good post. I have always felt poverty was less about money and more about a state of mind. People who are in debt choose to remain in debt, its true. It really is not about having money. Its what you do with the money you have.
Thanks for the insight.
albert grande
albertgrande.com

Banba said...

My philosophy is to make yourself happy. If you live where people don't share your values, maybe you should just move! Let's face it, money gives us security and choices in life. It isn't something evil that you need to get rid of as quickly as possible! I'm hoping the "Green" movement will help those living life less conscious to view what they buy for what it really is: future garbage!